Friday, December 10, 2010

Inaugural Post

This is my inaugural post as a blogger! The intention of this blog is to capture my internship experiences for those interested in the internship. 

Like most people interested in the provincial internship, I did not know what to expect before I walked in the door the first day! Although I had some ideas about the type of work I would be involved in, I had little clue about the intern-mentor dynamic, or the internal workings of executive government outside a textbook.

I decided to apply for the Executive Provincial Internship through the Graduate School because I felt like it would be a good opportunity to get my foot in government’s door. It was also a great opportunity to be mentored by a senior civil servant. The internship seemed like a natural progression from school to the workplace. In my mind this seemed more useful than applying for a government job and hoping for the best with little government experience.

Currently, I am interning at the Ministry of Health with the Deputy Minister, Dan Florizone, as my mentor. Although I am interning with the Deputy Minister, I have had plenty of opportunity to work with, and observe, the Assistant Deputy Ministers, Special Advisor, Executive Directors and even the Minister. Overall, people have been very helpful in welcoming me and making me feel at home. I think it has helped that the Ministry of Health is no stranger to interns - having several in the past who now have successful careers in government.

The Ministry of Health was my first placement choice when applying due to the overwhelming importance of healthcare in people’s lives. Just as death and taxes are certain in life – individuals are certain to utilize the healthcare system. Whether through injury, pregnancy, or a need for long-term care, individuals will rely on the healthcare system at some point in their lives. As a result, it is the job of government to ensure that patients are getting the best care they can possibly receive. For me making a difference, no matter how small, was a motivator to choose Health – luckily they picked me as their intern for 2010-11.
  
In the next couple posts I will attempt to summarize the kinds of activities I have been involved in and working on thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment